wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emansouri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Help Request Reply with quote

Hello,

I have just stumbled upon wview and it looks like a great app that may solve a problem of mine.

I currently have had a Davis Vantage Pro in production for over a year. My computer that stores my data is a Mac OS X computer, the problem is the WeatherLink for OS X doesn't let you download external station data or added probes (like the UV, etc.).

So I actually have a laptop that just sits and is connected to the Davis console, which pulls down the latest data every minute and FTPs it to the Mac.

I am tired of having the PC serve that purpose and I have been wanting to free it up and it looks like wview may help me do that.

I've been having real problems getting it set up - it could be because I'm running mySQL 5 (which was extremely hard to get configured that way I need it in Mac OS X).

My goal is to simply figure out if there is a way to simply convert the wlk files stored by default in /var/wview/archive to a simple text or XML format.

I would like to then just write my own scripts to parse that data and write it to mysql myself.

I don't need the htmlgend or any of the other daemons - I only need to be able to pull the console data in the simplest text format possible.

Does anyone have any simple ideas or suggestions?

By the way, my weather station is at:

http://weather.ucompass.com

Notice the "Talking Weather Station" feature - I built that in Flash.

Ed Mansouri
bhnb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed

Nice site!

There are several ways of achieving your goal with wview but I think that the neatest would be to use a data-feed client - have a look at section 13.5 in the User Manual.

If you need to extract data from existing .wlk files I'd suggest running wviewsqld temporarily so that it fills the tables with your existing data, then write some SQL to shift the data from the wview database to your own.

Cheers

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: