wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mutiple stations download

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alvi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Mutiple stations download Reply with quote

Hi,

Newbie here. I hope this has not been asked before (in which case please point me to the relevant info, as I was unable to find it myself).

I need to download data from several stations and was wondering if wview could be used for this purpose.

The stations are linked using proprietary packet radio modems which need some special bytes to be sent to select the specific remote modem (similar to dialing a number, but I need to send some binary data). Once selected the local serial port is linked to the remove modem more or less via a transparent serial link (i.e. all details of the packet radio are hidden from the local PC).

Thank you for helping.
cw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple Station Download Reply with quote

At this time I do not believe that wview has the capability to work with multiple stations. The file format that wview uses for its native data storage is the file format that Davis uses for their software. This goes back to the roots of wview where it was originally designed to support the Davis station. Later the ability to talk to a station was abstracted so other stations could be supported. The existing file format is robust enough that there has been no reason to change it. There are currently 2 stations supported along with a demo station. You are welcome to add additional ones but adding support for multiple stations would be a pretty big change.
alvi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple Station Download Reply with quote

cw wrote:
At this time I do not believe that wview has the capability to work with multiple stations. The file format that wview uses for its native data storage is the file format that Davis uses for their software. This goes back to the roots of wview where it was originally designed to support the Davis station. Later the ability to talk to a station was abstracted so other stations could be supported. (...skip...) You are welcome to add additional ones but adding support for multiple stations would be a pretty big change.
I understand your point. I can live with having separate files and configurations/directories for each station. I need to be able to start separate collecting daemons and sync them somehow. This could even be via a cron job to download each station separately. For example a simple batch would be:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
collect -c station1.cfg
collect -c station2.cfg

All I need to achieve this is to "dial" the station number and get the data in its own directory.

If it is possible to start a data collection process/daemon which will collect data from the serial port and then exit automatically, I could write something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
<select station1> && collect -c station1.cfg
<select station2> && collect -c station2.cfg

Where the CFG file will contain the correct patch and everything. I could even have 5 different installations of wview if necessary and then cd to the correct directory beforehand.
This is a hack... but I only have 5-6 stations to download. Do you think this could be possible?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: