wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing archive records

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcrowe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Missing archive records Reply with quote

Greetings,

Yesterday I had a brief power outage, and it took me a while to get my computer back up. Today I noticed that the 'low' temperature of record for the month is 0 degrees (which it wasn't -- this is southern California). I snoop around a bit and notice that the archive records for yesterday, March 11, 2006 stop at 16:30. I suspect this is the cause, as I can find no other 0 records.

Probably related: i noticed this morning that wviewd was not running (it apparently had some issues when the system rebooted yesterday, don't know exactly why but it was a generally troublesome reboot) so I fired up the rc script this morning. It apparently generated missing records based on data stored in the envoy, at least the records for march 12 are complete, but it didn't fill in the missing records from march 11.

I'm using 1.9.0 on FreeBSD 5.0. Is there a way of re-generating the archive records?

TIA,

Bob
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are not stored in the envoy, the answer is no, there is no way. If they are, you could hand edit the WLK file to remove all records after yesterday at 16:30 - but that requires record deletion AND header modification. Tricky business. If you are running anything longer than a 5 minute archive interval, the easy solution is to move the 2006-03.wlk file out of /var/wview/archive and let wview regenerate it from the envoy archive store.

You definitely need to upgrade soon - you are running a pretty old version of wview. I doubt that would have mattered in your power loss situation. I would be concerned that the envoy didn't start back up properly after the power loss and didn't store records for some period of time.

Consider a UPS for both the envoy and the wview host.

HTH,
Mark
rcrowe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,

I figured that might be the case, and a UPS (for both) is on the short list now. I was thinking that perhaps wviewd got, but didn't record the records from the envoy. The reason I say that is that when I finally did realize it wasn't running (about 7am this morning) and restarted it, it did fill in the missing records from midnight on the 12th. It just didn't fill in the records from 16:30 yesterday through midnight. There was nothing special that happened at midnight, so I suspected the software just didn't record yesterdays records (how well does it handle recording multi-day outages?)

It's curious that wview is reporting 0 for the period where the records don't exist. It seems it would be desirable to simply ignore time slots for which there are no records, rather than defaulting them to 0, any plans for that in the future? (or perhaps this illustrates my complete lack of understanding how this software works!)

Any pointers to the manual editing of the wlk files? Where would I get the best description of these? it's been a few years since I've programmed but I think I can still read and understand C well enough to do that. How much work are we talking about here? (Like would this be a good utility tool to write ?)

Thanks for making this great software available!

Bob
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There was nothing special that happened at midnight, so I suspected the software just didn't record yesterdays records (how well does it handle recording multi-day outages?)

Pretty well, or I wouldn't have suggested you letting it regenerate 12 days of archive records for the month of March.

Quote:
It's curious that wview is reporting 0 for the period where the records don't exist. It seems it would be desirable to simply ignore time slots for which there are no records, rather than defaulting them to 0, any plans for that in the future? (or perhaps this illustrates my complete lack of understanding how this software works!)

There have been so many fundamental changes to how the HILOWs are computed, station interface, etc. since version 1.9.0 that I can't venture a guess as to why that occurred. Sometimes when I introduce new features, I inadvertently introduce new bugs, which I subsequently fix (and have new releases). Once you are up-to-date on version (read the UPGRADE file), we can see what is happening (if it is still happening).

Quote:
Any pointers to the manual editing of the wlk files? Where would I get the best description of these? it's been a few years since I've programmed but I think I can still read and understand C well enough to do that. How much work are we talking about here? (Like would this be a good utility tool to write ?)

My pointer is, don't mess with it. But if you do, use a hex editor, grab the 5.4 WLK file format spec, and get ready to do alot of byte counting/double-checking. Not for the faint of heart or impatient.

Mark
rcrowe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, thanks for your help. I did upgrade a while back to 3.2.1, and it's worked quite well since. I've also put both the envoy and the host on a UPS, so power outages should no longer be a significant issue. However, I still get false low readings for March 11, 2006 (I get zeros, which are probably from the archive data being corrupt). Is there any way to either 1) exclude a specific date in the archive records -- either purging it from the archive data or ignoring it while parsing them, or 2) ignoring certain values of data, like a temperature reading of exactly 0 degrees F (it never gets that cold here) or a barometric pressure of 0, etc... I'd rather not blow away all of the archive data if there is an alternative.

Thanks again for any advice,

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: