wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wview under Knoppix distributions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhweather

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: wview under Knoppix distributions Reply with quote

Somewhat of a newb here, but I tried to config/make this under Knoppix 3.8.2 (which is Debian underneath) and got lots of errors on the make step. I'm going to do more work myself and try to figure it all out, but I was wondering if maybe Knoppix distros are missing some prerequisite software.

Mark
Mullica Hill Weather
http://home.comcast.net/!mullicahillweather
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that it is missing the libraries needed - did you check the User Manual for the prerequisites?

They are:

libz
libpng
libgd
librad

And soon (I am testing WunderGround support as we speak):
libcurl (if you want to enable Wunderground support)

Knoppix is nice for debugging HW problems and just tst driving linux, but it is not a good solution if you need to have development libraries installed.

Do you have a normal linux install somewhere?

Mark
mhweather

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Fedora Core 4 suffice ? Just downloaded the ISO's.
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, very good choice. I tested the wview USB-to-Serial support for the 2.6.12.1 kernel using FC 4 a month ago. In fact, you may not even have to install the pre-reqs, according to what type of install you choose (I picked Development I think).

If you do need to install any pre-reqs, I strongly suggest setting up and using yum. Here is a page that walks you through yum setup and use:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html#Yum

Let me know how it goes,
Mark
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

How is your installation coming?

Mark
mhweather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not well - I saw these same general errors under my Knoppix attempts. I using FC4 now:

I downloaded the radlib and installed it (successfuly I hope)

[root@localhost wview-1.7.0]# make install-env
Making install in daemon
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/teamloser/wview-1.7.0/daemon'
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../common -I/usr/local/include -DUSE_DATABASE=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DBUILD_WVIEWD -g -O2 -MT wvutils.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/wvutils.Tpo" -c -o wvutils.o `test -f '../common/wvutils.c' || echo './'`../common/wvutils.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/wvutils.Tpo" ".deps/wvutils.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/wvutils.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
../common/wvutils.c:42:23: error: radmsgLog.h: No such file or directory
../common/wvutils.c:43:25: error: radconffile.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ../common/wvutils.c:46:
../common/sysdefs.h:29:24: error: radsysdefs.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ../common/wvutils.c:46:
../common/sysdefs.h:124: error: syntax error before ‘vptimeSunrise’
../common/wvutils.c: In function ‘wvutilsSetVerbosity’:
../common/wvutils.c:60: error: ‘CF_ID’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/wvutils.c:60: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once../common/wvutils.c:60: error: for each function it appears in.)
../common/wvutils.c:60: error: syntax error before ‘configFileId’
../common/wvutils.c:70: error: ‘configFileId’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/wvutils.c:81: error: ‘ERROR’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/wvutils.c:94: error: ‘OK’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/wvutils.c: At top level:
../common/wvutils.c:233: error: syntax error before ‘vptimeSunrise’
../common/wvutils.c: In function ‘wvutilsIsDayTime’:
../common/wvutils.c:240: error: ‘FALSE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/wvutils.c:246: error: ‘vptimeSunrise’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/wvutils.c:248: error: ‘vptimeSunset’ undeclared (first use in this function)
../common/wvutils.c:256: error: ‘TRUE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [wvutils.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/teamloser/wview-1.7.0/daemon'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
[root@localhost wview-1.7.0]#

Mark
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Apparently you did not get radlib installed properly. Those errors are a result of the radlib header files not being found. If you did a standard install of radlib, the headers should be in /usr/local/include - but the first error message
Quote:
../common/wvutils.c:42:23: error: radmsgLog.h: No such file or directory

indicates that the compiler is not finding radmsgLog.h... the include directive -I/usr/local/include is correct, so you must not have installed radlib properly.

It is quite straightforward:
cd radlib-2.2.4
./configure
make install

That should place the header files and librad.a in the right places.

Also I notice that you have configured wview to use a relational database - is this what you want? If so, which one? This also implies another prerequisite, the proper database client library (as detailed in the User Manual). You might want to hold off on this added install complexity until you get a basic install working.

Let me know if this helps,
Mark
mhweather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops - I missed a step in the radlib install and I just re-did it - and wview compiled and seems to have started the daemons! I re-configured the install to leave off mysql, like you said, lets leave that complexity off for now until I have it working OK. Time to go thru the rest of the configurations steps in your doc.

Does wview do anything without a VP installed ? Will it upload graphs, etc even if they are nonsense ?

Just curious, did you ever try to run WeatherLink on WINE ?
Mark
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super!

Nope, wview is meant to talk to a VP... you can just archive the data by running the VP interface daemon only (wviewd), you can even just archive data and run alarms or feed the data to another application via the alarms datafeed socket interface. But most people want to generate the charts and html web pages (htmlgend).

No, I am not a fan of poorly written windows applications such as Weatherlink, and I certainly don't want to run windows applications on top of a windows 2000 simulator when unix is a far better OS and unix apps are far more efficient and stable than almost all windows apps. I think Weatherlink is a giant piece of crap, but that is just my opinion. I do like some of the data graphing you can do in Weatherlink, but the real-time code to generate HTML pages and even interface to their own HW (VP console) blows IMHO. It takes seconds to do what wview can do in milliseconds (read 100-1000 times faster). I also think the graphics and page layouts are better in wview. But I am a little biased Wink

Keep me abreast of your progress - always glad to help.
Mark
mhweather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get off a Windows box for this station of mine. This would be the perfect project for me to finally break down and really learn *nix. I don't really use the interactive features of WeatherLink, it just produces my HTML and NOAA reports.

Can you recommend any Linux software that does the video webcam capture piece ?

Mullica Hill Weather
http://home.comcast.net/~mullicahillweather
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have never had a webcam. It is also going to depend on the webcam you have. If you don't have one yet, you should google "linux webcam" or "linux video capture" and find out which devices are supported. Your best bet will be those devices which have built-in support in the linux kernel as opposed to those which require an external driver. But those can be made to work to.

The guy running wview on the embedded ARM set top box in Colorado http://65.121.49.208/html/wview/index.html has a webcam and he is running a very stripped down version of the 2.4 kernel for ARM processors, so I think with a little research you will be quite successful running on a full-blown 2.6 kernel (like that which comes in the FC4 distro).

I would like to set up a webcam myself one day, so let me know how this goes for you. New forum topics for these new discussions would be appreciated by all, including me.

Mark
mhweather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works!!!! Got to get the FTP piece configured, but so far so good. One question, can wview write the WeatherLink *.WLK format files or is there some process that would convert the SQL DB to a WLK formatted file ?
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super!

wview DOES write Weatherlink WLK format files, in fact it will read your Weatherlink-generated files if you place them in the /var/wview/archive directory. You really must take the time to read that bohemoth User Manual, that fact is stated in there in several places...

WLK files are how wview archives data - have a look in /var/wview/archive. SQL DB is just an optional way to store the data for those that want to write applications that query against a relational database. WLK files are always generated and what wview uses run-time to generate those pretty graphs.

Once you get your site squared away, I would like to list it on the wview site list page if you wouldn't mind - just send me your URL when you are ready.

Mark
mhweather

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I saw the *.WLK thing somewhere in your doc or in a forum. Just wanted some backward compatibility should I need to jump back to WL. I've been reading just enough of the doc to get it running, now I can go back and read the finer points. I'll hopefully have my wview server up tommorow and I will surely pass on the new URL for you.

Good news on the webcam front, I think I even found drivers for my Veo cam and I can look around for some open source webcam software on SourceForge or whatever.
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the WLK files should be backward compatible, although I can't imagine going back! But that is just me.

More importantly, your WL WLK files are forward compatible to wview Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: