wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

compile problems with latest wview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imesg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: compile problems with latest wview Reply with quote

Linux kernel 2.6.11
Gentoo distribution

./configure --enable-mysql

gcc -g -O2 -o wviewd -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/mysql -L/usr/lib/mysql wvutils.o dbfiles.o windAverage.o daemon.o daemonStates.o serial.o ethernet.o vpinterface.o dbdatabase.o -lc -lm -lrad -lmysqlclient -lz -lrad -lpng -lm -lgd -lc
ethernet.o: In function `ethernetMediumInit':
../daemon/ethernet.c:231: undefined reference to `rpl_malloc'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [wviewd] Error 1

I need some help with this. I can supply any information necessary.

Thanks,

Gene
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line 231 just invokes plain old malloc - present in all standard libc versions. Do you have some unusual configuration, or given that it is gentoo, have you got standard installations of libc built up for your installation? I have installed and tested successfully on Fedora Core 4 running the 2.6.11, 2.6.12.2 and 2.6.12.3 kernels, so I don't think it has anything to do with your kernel version. Because gentoo is "built up from scratch", I am sure you have not fully created a build environment. malloc is found in either the linux libc or the GNU glibc libraries. Recent versions allow tuning of malloc behavior - see man malloc on your system and start your investigation there.

This is not a problem with wview - malloc is used by most software libraries and applications.

I don't run gentoo - you may want to google your error adding "gentoo" to the search words...

Hope this helps,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I did a 'make distclean' and './configure --enable-mysql' and it compiled just fine. I hope to have a running setup by the end of the week. Just waiting for the usb logger.

Gentoo builds everything from source so I think that the build system is ok.

Thanks,

Gene
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out.

How are you going to use a USB data logger on a Mac? The VP USB data logger is based on the CP2101 chip, and I am not aware of a driver for it in FreeBSD/Darwin.

The folks that I know who are running wview on MacOSX are using a USB-to-serial convertor connected to a serial data logger...

Mark
n5rat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Mac install USB issues Reply with quote

Folks,
I installed the Davis USB to serial driver that comes with the mac version of their software package. It does work, at least it works with their software.

I've completed the install up to the wviewconfig step. When it asks for the data port I get the following error.

Physical Interface the VP console is connected to (serial or ethernet)
(serial): /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART
/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART is not a valid physical interface - must be one of serial or ethernet!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, follow the directions which state give it one of serial or ethernet.

After you enter serial for that question, you will enter the device name "/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART" when it asks for the device name.

If it works for WL, it will work for wview.

I did not know that those old WL for Mac packages came with a USB data logger - I thought the USB data logger was relatively new for WL...

Does the WL for Mac come with a USB-to-serial adapter cable or a straight USB cable from your Mac to the WL datalogger?

Mark
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, thanks for the question, but please start a new topic if it is a new problem, so others will find the solution more easily when they browse the topics in the future.

Thanks again,
Mark
Anole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem compiling getting the " undefined reference to `rpl_malloc' " error.
Tried the ./configure --enable-mysql and still had the problem. Ultimately I had to go into config.h and change:

/* Define to rpl_malloc if the replacement function should be used. */
#define malloc rpl_malloc

to

/* Define to rpl_malloc if the replacement function should be used. */
#undef malloc

to get it to install.

This is on RedHat WS 3 Taroon 4 (2.4.21-27.0.2.EL)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: