wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

setting up tnftp for Mac OS 10.4.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WJClancey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: setting up tnftp for Mac OS 10.4.3 Reply with quote

After installing wview successfully in Mac OS 10.4 (but not running it yet), I moved on to preparing for ftp.

I followed instructions for installing tnftp, but now have no ftp at all. I've spent about 3 hours on this. I have no Unix experience since the late 1970s when we were running DEC mainframes, and would appreciate any help.

1. started by running /usr/bin/ftp --> indicated version was not tnftp, so I proceeded with tnftp installation.

2. followed instructions given in the user manual "Setting up FTP Transfers"); did not find /usr/kerberos...
Trying to run ftp via "/usr/bin/ftp" now produces "-bash: /usr/bin/ftp: No such file or directory"

3. I've removed tnftp-20050625 folder several times and retried installation in different ways with "./configure --prefix=/opt/local" and searching for ftp in /usr/bin, /usr/local, /opt/local. All I find are an ftp folder in wview-1.9.0 and ftp.o inside this folder. I found directions on internet to copy tnftp-20050625 folder to /tmp and do make, but that didn't help.

4. I'm not sure it happened the first time, but "sudo make install" returns "make: `install' is up to date."

5. last logged line in "sudo make" is
gcc -g -O2 -L../libedit -L../libnetbsd -o ftp cmds.o cmdtab.o complete.o domacro.o fetch.o ftp.o main.o progressbar.o ruserpass.o util.o -ledit -ledit -ltermcap -lnetbsd

That looks encouraging, as it mentions ftp.

6. After some attempts yesterday, I had these two pointers in /usr/bin:
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 18 Dec 17 18:10 ftp -> /opt/local/bin/ftp
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 18 Dec 17 17:53 ftp-old -> /usr/local/bin/ftp

ftp pointer looks fine, but there is no file or directory /opt/local/bin/ftp.
ftp-old pointer is odd, as I thought the file ftp-old would have been moved, rather than pointing to a file that does not exist.

I can send full log of .configure etc. if you wish.

I did spend about an hour also reading many posts here, but decided it is time to ask for help.

Bill
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Execute "sudo whereis ftp" - this should tell you where ftp is found on the root path.

If nothing there:
cd /
find . -name "ftp*" -print

This should print out where all files/directories named ftp<something> are found.

tnftp (named ftp) is installed somewhere, you just have to find it and create your link properly in /usr/bin...

Mark
WJClancey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: found ftp Reply with quote

Mark,

Thanks, I found it in ./private/tmp/tnftp-20050625/src

Bill

mteel wrote:
Execute "sudo whereis ftp" - this should tell you where ftp is found on the root path.

If nothing there:
cd /
find . -name "ftp*" -print

This should print out where all files/directories named ftp<something> are found.

tnftp (named ftp) is installed somewhere, you just have to find it and create your link properly in /usr/bin...

Mark
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to copy it out of there to /usr/bin instead of linking it there - that looks like a temporary directory that might get "cleaned up" later.

It looks like you never executed the "make install", that's why it is sitting in your build directory. Copying it to /usr/bin will do the trick.

Have fun!
Mark
WJClancey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Okay, good, I was thinking something else needed to get reset when I repeated the installations. After each ./configure & make, "sudo make install" kept returning "make: `install' is up to date." (Each time I started by trashing the tnftp-20050625 folder and rexpanding the gz file.)

Should I have specified the "--prefix=/opt/local" option for ./configure?

Bill

mteel wrote:
You may want to copy it out of there to /usr/bin instead of linking it there - that looks like a temporary directory that might get "cleaned up" later.

It looks like you never executed the "make install", that's why it is sitting in your build directory. Copying it to /usr/bin will do the trick.

Have fun!
Mark
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, you could have done that. It really doesn't matter where it is installed as long as it isn't a temp folder and you link to it in /usr/bin (or just copy the binary to /usr/bin).

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> FTP All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: