wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wwview does not automatically restart after reboot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn P.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: wwview does not automatically restart after reboot. Reply with quote

I am running wview version 3.2.1 on an IMac running MacOSX 10.3.9 connected to a Davis Vantage Pro2 through an ethernet port.

Wview is up and running but I have to start it manually. It does not restart if the computer was asleep or even when I reboot.

When I restart wview I get the following:

Imac:~ lynnprunty$ sudo /sbin/SystemStarter restart "wview"
Welcome to Macintosh.
Unable to open parameters file /Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist/StartupParameters.plist for item StartupParameters.plist. (Not a directory)
Stopping wview daemons
Starting wview daemons
Waiting for wview daemons
Startup complete.
Hangup
Imac:~ lynnprunty$

I performed step 10 in the wview Quick Start Guide for Macintosh OK. At least I think I did it OK but I know how that can go too.

Did I maybe not make -env properly when I installed wview?

The program appears to function properly otherwise. This is a very nice program. My complements to all who have contributed to the project.

Thanks.
bhnb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynn

I'll start by admitting to knowing nothing about the OSX boot process, but I'm guessing that something went wrong at the start of step 10. Try
Code:
cat /Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist

If it looks like this
Quote:
{
Description = "wview daemons";
Provides = ("wview");
Requires = ("Disks", "NetInfo", "Resolver");
Uses = ("Network", "Network Time");
OrderPreference = "None";
}

then you probably also have /Library/StartupItems/wview as a file when it should be a directory. If this is the case, try
Code:
sudo mv /Library/StartupItems/wview /Library/StartupItems/wview.tmp
sudo mkdir /Library/StartupItems/wview
sudo mv /Library/StartupItems/wview.tmp /Library/StartupItems/wview/wview
sudo mv /Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist /Library/StartupItems/wview

then the rest of step 10:
Code:

sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/StartupItems/wview
sudo chmod -x /Library/StartupItems/wview/StartupParameters.plist
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/StartupItems/wview

and try another restart.

Cheers

Jon
Lynn P.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

In the Mac world they have a program "Property List Editor" that reads .plist. I had looked at it and the data appears to be the info that the 'cat' command lists. i.e. "wview deamons -thru- Network Time"

I appear to have a wview folder in the Library/StartupItems folder and in the wview folder is a "wview" executable and StartupParameters.plist. These are the files that were copied in step 10.

What bothers me is that what appears to be the file that the daemon reguests is not in the location Library/StartupItems/wview/StartupParameters.plist

It calls for:

Unable to open parameters file /Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist/StartupParameters.plist for item StartupParameters.plist. (Not a directory)

It is looking for the StartupParameters.plist in a /StartupParameters.plist/ folder. I think it should be looking in the folder /wview/ for the file StartupParameters.plist.

I do not know where the command is generated to look for the StartupParameters.plist. That is the file I wonder that may not have gotten loaded incorrectly.

Jon, I appreciate the help. I may sound vague at the moment but I am on vacation away from the computer running wview and trying to pull this from my memory.

TTFN

Lynn
Lynn P.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

I have had plenty of time on vacation to mull over my problem.

I am thinking that when I did step 10 that I was in a hurry (so close to the end) that I made some errors in the entry. I do not recall if the error was a double entry of StartupParameters in the file location entry

i.e./Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist/StartupParameters.plist

when it should have been /Library/StartupItems/wview/StartupParameters.plist

That may be where my mistake was made. I will look for the file "/Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist/StartupParameters.plist" and try to remove it if that was the case.

I know I had to perform step 10 more than once to get it to work, just because of my hast.

I will keep trying.

TTFN

Lynn
bhnb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you try removing (or temporarily moving) /Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist to see if that gets rid of the error?
Lynn P.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give that a try.
Lynn P.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

I think I have discovered my issues.

First the "Not starting on reboot problem". In the Mac world we can look at file ownership with a get Info window. This way I can confirm the "sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/StartupItems/wview" (in step 10) command results. I found that the /Library/StartupItems/wview did not have "system" (root) ownership and was not set to "wheel". I changed both settings and now wview will boot on startup.

Second the "/Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist/StartupParameters.plist" problem. I am booting my wview server from an external drive. On that drive there is a second /Library/StartupItems folder. The /Library/StartupItems/StartupParameters.plist/StartupParameters.plist was in that folder. I removed it from there. That seemed to cure the startup complaint.

In summation, I had made several errors in trying to get step 10 executed properly. Just from being in too much of a hurry. But the good thing is with the loading of wview I am learning more about my system and unix commands. This being my first venture into unix.

Thanks for your support it gave me encouragement, because with mistakes like mine it is very hard to troubleshoot remotely.

Lynn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: