wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NSLU2 driving me bonkers....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kq6ea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: NSLU2 driving me bonkers.... Reply with quote

Well, I managed to get OpenSlug installed, my USB drive configured, wview-vpro-mysql installed along with the NTP stuff, and Apache up and running. Wview appears to start normally, although I don't see the same start-up messages as I do when running it on this (SUSE) PC. When I do "ps aux" I see all the wview process' running, but it never generates any HTML to put in /var/wview/img, so I'm assuming it's not communicating with the Davis console, and getting any data. The problem is that vpinstall fails. I'm using a serial version of the WeatherLink adapter with a Keyspan USB-to-Serial adapter. The Keyspan gets recognized and configured as /dev/ttyUSB0, but vpinstall fails everytime. Sometimes it will get the elevation set, and then fail, sometimes it won't even initialize the station. The led on the Keyspan goes from a slow blink (idle, but configured) to solid (data transfer in process), but I'm wondering if wview is timing out, as I read in another post.
Has anybody got an NSLU2 to run with a USB-to-Serial converter, or should I just get the "native" USB version of Weatherlink?
TIA!
-Jim
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir, I have tested the NSLU2 with a PL2303-based USB-to-serial device with no problems.

I have no experience with the Keyspan...

HTH,
Mark
kq6ea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. I just ordered a couple of Prolific-based adapters. I'll post back after I get them.
-Jim
kq6ea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Working Fine Now..... Reply with quote

Well, I swapped out my trusty Keyspan USB-to-Serial adapter for a $5 "No Name" Prolific-based unit I bought on eBay, and it works now! vpinstall ran fine, and I now have my Vantage Pro2 delivering data to my "TurboSlug", and serving it up on my network via Apache.
This is interesting because I've _NEVER_ had a problem using the Keyspan with Linux.
Now to find a Dynamic DNS provider so I can serve my weather to the world.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: