wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

simulator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorwegianWould

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: simulator Reply with quote

Hi,

I was trying the latest stable release in 'simulator mode'. On the machine that I was trying it on, I do not have root access, so that this needs to run as a user. With some tweaking of the code (one .h file), wviewconfig and config files, as well as using --prefix when compiling, I seemed to have it working. However it seems that htmlgend dies without informing why. It seems that the png files are generated but no new html files. Where do the syslog entries go if not runnig as root? If they are in /var/log/messages, I am not allowed to read them!

I know wview is perhaps not intended to run in user space, so this is not a bug report, just an observation. I can always run on another machine. I just thought it might be worth adding some more flexibility in the configuration in future instead of the current hard coded /etc/wview etc. I'd like to get away from running as root in some future version anyway.

Jeremy
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unix daemons generally run as root. wview daemons are (and will continue to be) no exception.
mdg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like the problem I'm having with htmlgend too. I'm running everything as root though, but I did use --prefix to put the binaries elsewhere. 3.0.0 works fine, is there something in 3.1.0 that might not be following the prefix correctly maybe?

Here is my configure line, just for debugging purposes. The only thing different from 3.0.0 is the version number in the path.

./configure --prefix=/software/wview-3.1.0 --enable-station-vpro --enable-wunderground LDFLAGS=-L/software/radlib/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/software/radlib/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.4
mteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, don't hijack this thread please.

Why /software? Good gosh, that prefix needs to match where libz is installed, libgd, libpng, maybe libcurl, etc, etc.

The prefix configure option is intended to specify your default library/local binary root for your unix platform - if /usr/local is not normally used (like for Fedora Core, although I still install there) you can specify /usr for example. Occasionally /opt is used for things like MacOSX. Then library headers should be found at [prefix]/include and libraries at [prefix]/lib and local binaries at [prefix]/bin.

You folks make it harder on yourselves by changing things like this. If you don'y fully understand the ramifications of changing something, a good rule of thumb is: don't change it!

What NorwegianWould was reporting is not even "trouble" as far as I am concerned. Daemons run as root and wview expects things in /etc/wview and /var/wview and that is the end of it. If you deviate from that, the problems you have are self-induced and not trouble report worthy at all.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: