wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UV ans solar radiation averages (month/year)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodemory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: UV ans solar radiation averages (month/year) Reply with quote

Hi,

UV and SR graphs are plotted according daily/weekly temporal averages.
It would be more interesting to plot, for every day/month the maxima data only, that appear in the monthly/yearly view. Averaging over time (including night...) is not accurate and unfortunately makes the graphs useless.

Thanks,
Brice
mteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I (unfortunately) don't agree they are useless.
bodemory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested to know how do you get information from
those graphs then...
Solar radiation is based on sky transparency, latitude and epoch of the year. For a given latitude, along the year or the month, you would see a variation proportional to the sun height above horizon squared.
If you average over 24 hours including night, you put an additional variating quantity that is length of day, leading to a quantity that does not allow
inter day/month comparison.

The best proof I can give is the shape of your yearly UV/SR data...

I don't agree with your statement, but I do respect it Wink

Brice
Geneva Observatory, Switzerland.
mteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at my radiation graph for year - it shows a distinct pattern which tells me the total radiation for each day is decreasing uniformly to some point during our winter, and apparently will increase uniformly to some point in our summer. Is that true for all locations around the world? I don't believe so, thus the graph provides meaningful data.

I also like simple to understand charts. All are sample average based except for rain and ET since they must be considered as cumulative values.

I took your earlier comment to be directed at all graphs and the usefulness of hour (for monthly charts) and day (for yearly charts) averages. If we are restricting the conversation to radiation and UV, then I am less indignant Wink

Quote:
If you average over 24 hours including night, you put an additional variating quantity that is length of day, leading to a quantity that does not allow inter day/month comparison.

I totally disagree. Even though the night time hours are included, averaging is the best way to do inter-hour/inter-day comparisons. It is more meaningful to me to compare relative total radiation/UV for a day than the "high" value day to day. An anomolic spurt in radiation on a day filled with clouds and otherwise a low radiation day vs. a sunny day with no spurts which contained much more radiation is what I would term a "useless" comparison of maximal values. By the way, that is exactly what happens on cloudy days when the sun "peeks" out for 5 minutes - Higher radiation than has occurred in any adjacent sunny days will happen momentarily.

Someone else requested that other readings which are confined to maximal bound interest (rain rate, wind gust) should plot the high for the sample period instead of the average. That makes some sense to me and I am currently mulling those over. But I am not convinced maximal instead of average values for radiation and UV charts is better data. In fact quite to the contrary.

Mark
bodemory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the maxima, you're right, it would be better for the global shape of the dataset but this is not the aim here.
So let's move to my main concern :

Let me explain it differently :
Suppose you're gathering SR data over 24h. You'll have (assuming you're averaging this way):
sum(SR0+SR1+...+SR23)/24, right ?
A better way to do (more meaningful from my point of view) would be :
sum(SR0+SR1+...+SR23)/int(sunrise-sunset)
and then estimate monthly and yearly averages this way.
This way you're ensuring that only meaningful data are taken in account,
by meaningful I mean only hours during the sun is up.

Today, you underestimate the mean by dividing your sum by day+night hours.

The problem is that int(sunrise-sunset) is not constant over the year, so
by calculating the averages this way, they are biased. This is especially true for the yearly average (depending on the latitude though!)

Brice
mteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, that is not what you were first proposing.

This is, simply stated, a request to change the averaging period for solar-based daily measurements to be daylight hours only. N'est pas?

That (if that does summarize your new request) is a reasonable request, although I still do not see the overriding value in it. Do you look at a yearly graph to determine the absolute magnitude of a reading for a given day? Boy I don't. It provides a way to observe trends throughout the year. And as such, whether the daily solar radiation average is for daylight hours only or all hours is insignificant. Think of the average as a way to scale the TOTAL radiation for a day. Total doesn't care about daylight hours. Using the average instead of the cumulative is just a way to scale it to a more meaningful range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Wish List All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: