wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data delay in UDS-100???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3dawgs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Data delay in UDS-100??? Reply with quote

We recently purchased a pair of UDS-100 serial servers, to convert
RS-232 data to IP. The problem is that over time, the data that gets
converted back to RS-232 at the other end develops a bad delay, upwards of 11 seconds or so.

We're trying to use these converters for a radio station transmitter remote control. We can issue a command at the studio end (like "raise main power", for example), but as I mentioned, the transmitter won't
get the command for about 11 seconds. We're currently testing the units on our bench now through our LAN.

How odd. Any ideas?
loonsailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this related to weatherview? It sounds like it isn't. With weatherview, there's no reason for a second UDS100 at the computer end. The computer simply accesses the weather station over ethernet, either locally (in most cases) or over the internet if necessary. I've never seen the kind of delay you're talkiing about in that kind of use.

As far as your delay problem is concerned, data (and control) must be getting buffered somewhere. It's unlikely that it's the internet itself, so the possibilities are one of the serial drivers (at the station or at the control computer) or one of the UDS's. You could hang a serial line analyzer at both ends and see when the serial command is sent and received. You could also hang a network sniffer on both ends to see when the IP commands are sent and received. I suppose it's also possible that the application software at one end or the other is somehow locked up for a few seconds.

Good luck, but if this isn't weatherview related, this isn't the place to discuss it.
3dawgs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry 'bout that. It's not weatherview related. I just Googled "UDS-100 forums" and it gave this site as an option. Figured I'd give it a shot. Do you know of any other forums where my question would be more appropriate? Thanks,
loonsailor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't know of any Lantronix forums. There seem to be none on their web site. You might try http://www.tomsnetworking.com/, and the forums that they link to.

BTW, in addition to the ideas that I mentioned earlier, the other thing that might be happening is that a packet could be getting lost somehow, and then there's a timeout delay. I don't know anything about the serial-over-ether protocol, but maybe there's a way to shorten the timeout? Packets shouldn't get lost very often, but it's a thought.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: