wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble w/ vpro data transfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
litus2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Trouble w/ vpro data transfer Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just installed wview 3.2.0 with MySQL support and radlib-2.6.2

I am using a Vantage Pro connected through a 56k GSM connection, attached to a serial-to-ethernet converter "custom made".

Well, some things works, and some things don't wants to work! Crying or Very sad

For example, with the vpconfig utility I get this:

[root@]# vpconfig <ip:port> show

Firmware Version: Jul 25 2002
Station Location: 41.4 N, 2.3 W, 0 feet
Archive Interval: 30 minutes
Rain Season Start Month: 10
RX Check Stats: 0 0 40 0 805 recvd:missed:resyncs:good-pkts-in-a-row:CRC errors

And when I start wview, it gets frozen at this point:

Vantage Pro on <ip:port> opened ...
station archive interval: 30 minutes
running...

I can see with a sniffer that data is being transferred between station and wview, but it never continues from here.

Is there some delay parameters or more debug to show configurable?

I think that it will work connected directly to the serial port, but I would like to get working in remote.

Thank you very much, and congratulations for this greeeeat soft! Cool
Brown.-
mteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, when folks run into trouble with a serial-to-ethernet convertor, it is because the convertor is not configured properly to pass through ALL data. Notorious for this are terminal servers, which want to encapsulate packets sent on the serial wire based on a line end sequence (which they strip off) or just filter non-ASCII characters. ALL data, every byte, must be passed through to/from the Vantage Pro. It has a goofy part-ASCII, part-Binary protocol and no bytes in the data stream (in either direction) can be disturbed.

Folks will sometimes report that vpconfig is working but wview isn't. vpconfig operation does not guarantee that the convertor is passing everything through in both directions.

HTH,
Mark
litus2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your (fast!) anwer.

In this scenario, the serial-to-ethernet convertor that I am using is an embeded system with a program in C that sends every byte received in the tcp port n to the serial potr and viceversa, and the source code is very simple and it works really transparent.

I had using another C program for talking with the vantage pro (vproweather-0.6), and I had to tune the delays, because the communication data link that I use may have delays of 3 seconds between packets.

If you have more ideas.....

Thank you in advance, regards.
Brown.-
mteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delays that long are not going to work with wview. wview maintains pretty strict timeouts on responses from the VP console. 3 seconds won't get it done.

Sorry,
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: