wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

library dependencies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marko15576

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: library dependencies Reply with quote

Hi,

I usually update my debian system via apt to have the latest security fixes and updated packages. If I install wview "beneath" the package manager, the dependencies of wview are not taken into account during updating. Is it possible that this leads to a not working wview? E.g. when a library which wview needs is removed during update? Or does this only play a role during installing wview? I know, stupid question but I was just wondering...

Thanks & regards,
Marko
mteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removal would be bad...

Updating a dependancy should not be a problem unless they like to change things drastically like the Postgres folks do Wink

It is not just an issue at build time - libraries are dynamically loaded when wview is started. If an upgrade did remove a major shared library version, then it could be a problem.

libz, libpng and libgd (the three fundamental dependancies) should cause no problems updating. libcurl is probably safe, MySQL updates seem to be well behaved, and Postgres you are on your own.

Mark
Marko15576

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmh. OK. Since the datalogger holds the data there should be enough time to fix the problem if one occurs. A more convenient way would be to have a rpm or deb package. Does anyone have a clue how complex this would be for wview (to build such a package)?

P.S.: Thanks for your answer!
mteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fundamentally any program which uses autoconf/automake to build should not be difficult to integrate into a package system. There already is an rpm repository on Dries (http://dries.studentenweb.org/apt/packages/radlib/info.html) and Dag (http://dag.wieers.com/packages/radlib/) for radlib for Fedora Core versions.

Jon Barber and I have integrated radlib and wview into the openslug (NSLU2) package system (ipkg) (multi-target builds enhancement being graciously worked on by Jon as we speak).

Short answer is: it's just a matter of someone doing it and maintaining it for wview releases. Maybe Dries or Dag could be convinced to do it for wview too. That would then be an RPM source for Fedora Core.

I am NOT getting into the business of maintaining wview releases for multiple package management systems.

[Opinion]
My package management system of choice would be FreeBSD ports! Debian totally bores me except when abstracted by a distro like kubuntu which makes Debian tolerable. For linux distros I prefer Fedora Core and yum.
[/Opinion]

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: