wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

broken after 3.0.0 upgrade can't downgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: broken after 3.0.0 upgrade can't downgrade Reply with quote

It seems..... that since I tried to upgrade to 3.0.0, I've completely broken wview.

Since upgrading I have not been able to successfully start wview again... I've also tried downgrading to 2.0 and can't get it to work.. so now I'm flustered...

i've upgrade to radlib 2.6.1

I've tried with my modifications... and with just a straight wview default install.

symptoms:

when starting... wviewd seems to hang after logging this:

Code:
Jan 16 09:15:15 debian wviewd[27739]: <3560348998> : radlib: wviewd started as a daemon ...
Jan 16 09:15:15 debian wviewd[27739]: <3560349002> : wview 3.0.0 starting ...
Jan 16 09:15:15 debian wviewd[27739]: <3560349003> : station interface: serial ...
Jan 16 09:15:15 debian wviewd[27739]: <3560349004> : Rain Season Start Month set to 10
Jan 16 09:15:15 debian wviewd[27739]: <3560349005> : station polling interval set to 15 seconds

i don't hear anything from htmlgend after this:
Code:
Jan 16 09:15:16 debian htmlgend[27746]: <3560350085> : radlib: htmlgend started as a daemon ...
Jan 16 09:15:16 debian htmlgend[27746]: <3560350090> : !! configured for metric units/conversion !!
Jan 16 09:15:16 debian htmlgend[27746]: <3560350091> : generating to /var/wview/img

When I stop wview... all processes exit properly except wviewd.. it has to be killed -9 and its' ipc spots cleaned out.
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a serial communications problem... either your config file is goofy or something is up with your cable or VP console.

The next thing in the log you should see is:
"Vantage Pro on /dev/ttyS0 opened..." (or whatever your serial device is)
It appears to be hanging on the serial port.

Did you run wviewconfig after building and installing but before starting (as indicated in the UPGRADE file)?

Mark
chrisale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wondering out loud... could this be a communication problem with the Vantage Pro system?

when the configure I set it with --enable-vantagepro --enable-mysql --enable-wunderground
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be "--enable-station-vpro" -

And as in my previous post, yes, a serial/console/setup problem appears to be happening...
chrisale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep.. that's the station command I used.

OK, when I get home, I'll unplug and replug in the console. I haven't been very happy with my USB extension... not very reliable.

for now, I'll blame it on my cats... Wink
THogland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Installing 3.0 Reply with quote

FWIW, when I did the 3.0 installs (couple of betas and now the 3.0 official), I used "./configure --enable-wunderground", then "make && make install-env" since the html templates and such were noted as changing. (I've got my changed templates backed up, so all I have to do is copy/paste the minor tweaks...) I didn't use a station enable command, and all is well with the VPro.

Now if I can figure out how to make daily/monthly/yearly rain dials start at zero I'll be happy Confused (I read your thread in the wish list, read the images.c and htmlgenerate.c and apparently I'm not as literate as you <g>)

Either that or I need to get a VPro2+ instead Smile
chrisale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once i get mine running I'll probably have to update the code for those dials anyway so i'll tweak the examples and stuff there.
NorwegianWould

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installation works, but you have to follow the instructions 'as advertised'. (Procedure section here http://www.wviewweather.com/release-notes/wview-Quick-Start.html).

No shortcuts. It is important to do wviewconfig, and sudo make install-env (your old configs will be preserved). (I only did sudo make install at first and had problems due to my old .conf files.

Any custom templates etc must be merged in afterwards.
chrisale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've resolved the problems... the main problem was that I forgot to reset the serial port setting to ttyUSB0 when redoing the config files... the USB connection itself was also acting up which complicated things. I'm taking my extension back to Radio Shack.. piece-o-junk...

I also notice that the image generation code has changed, so I had to update all my user-images. I'll post the changes to the appropriate thread here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: