wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ftp bug & fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loonsailor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: ftp bug & fix Reply with quote

I've got wview pretty much up and working, except that ftp doesn't work. It winds up just putting some zero length files in my remote image directory, with names like .pureftpd-upload.44c6f056.15.5845.e0b6d7f8. When I try to ftp "manually" with the following command (as specified in the user manual)
ftp -AiV -u ftp://name:passwd@svr.inmotionhosting.com/public_html/wview/ img/*.*
it pauses for about 10 seconds and comes back with no error message but no success either. When I change the switches from -AiV to -iV or simply -V, it works fine. So, I suspect that there is a problem with "active mode" on my hosting service (inmotion hosting). In poking around this forum, I've seen a few other people that seem to have the same problem.

When I look at the source, the following line is hard-coded into ftp/ftpUtils.c
args[1] = "-AiV";
I think that I could fix my problem by modifying this line and rebuilding. However, I'm hesitant to do so, because once I start mucking with the source code it makes it that much harder to maintain my system when a new rev comes out. It seems to me that the right way to solve this problem is for these switches to be a configuration parameter in wviewftp.conf, and have the program pick them up.

So, since I'm new to this community, what I'd like to know is, what's the protocol here. Should I modify the source, try it, and submit the changed file back somehow? If so, how? If I do modify it, I'd simply change the hard-coded switches so it works for me, since I don't have time to learn radlib and the configuration system right now, so it might not really be an improvement for everyone.

What do wview-ers do in a circumstance like this?

Thanks
loonsailor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting this, I decided that I was being a bit silly not to try it out. So, I modified the line in ftpUtils.c to
args[1] = "-iV";
then did a "make" and a "sudo make install".

It works fine for me now.

How does this get absorbed into the system, or am I stuck with a custom source file?
bhnb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi loonsailor

In response to your earlier 'what do other wview-ers do in a situation like this?', I have a problem in that my hosting provider requires that I log in with user@domainname@host. The two @s break tnftp. Originally, like you I tinkered with the source to get it to work for me, but releases were coming thick and fast and this got a bit tedious, so I created a script at /usr/bin/ftp which does the upload using commands which work for me. This way I don't need to modify the source. There are other positive benefits e.g. I also have greater control over what gets uploaded.

Jon
loonsailor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't use wviewftpd at all? That makes sense - I was a little surprised that it's a C program rather than a script. I guess it was done that way in order to have it fit into the same radlib / conf style as everything else.

I've got it working fine with the changed source code, but if it becomes a nuisance I may do the same thing that you did. Is wview still evolving? I see that it hasn't changed since March.
mteel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at the present time, no (because it's developer got hijacked by life for a while Wink).

As far as protocol for getting changes incorporated:
Absolutely yes, you should try out your changes before suggesting them if at all possible. They are more likely to be incorporated if I know they have been tested (and they make sense). Then submit them to the Wish List forum...

Yes, wviewftpd was written in C to conform to the overall development model. Nothing ever stops you from taking a different approach, such as Jon has done several times.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: