wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upload CWOP-style summary elsewhere?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
THogland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Upload CWOP-style summary elsewhere? Reply with quote

Okay - the Alaska Region NOAA office asked if I can upload the text summary to them directly, and I have no idea how to do this. The FTP upload sends all the graphs and such, and wvcwopd doesn't appear to allow any type of username/password entry... They have nice directions for using Weather Display, and even offer a free license in exchange for sending this data, but 1) it's Windows, and 2) it's extremely complicated Sad

Is there a way to send a simple one-liner text summary to a FTP site? They suggest 10 minutes, but I think they'll take what they can get Smile
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTP by definition is a "file" transfer protocol - do they want a file?

If you can get a description of what it is they want, I'll see what I can do. There are the NOAA report files already being generated for month and year, is this what they want?

It could be a telnet session like CWOP, it could be an FTP file transfer, it could be an http session like Wunderground. Will also need the data format they expect.

Mark
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, the wviewftpd daemon is configured in the wviewftp.conf file and can send any type of file you want...
THogland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: More info... Reply with quote

An excerpt from the e-mail I got...
-----
what we should receive. It is a very small file, just text, that
looks like this

ANCAB,200509131610,10,74,101460,3,1,SSE

So no we don't want anything fancy. If you follow these instructions,
it should just send that small txt file that we're looking for.
-----

This looks just like what I see in the logs for CWOP, so I'm thinking that is what they want - the raw data file that gets sent to CWOP... They seem to like FTP, although they were nice enough to give my login a valid shell. No rsync on it, though - I thought of the ssh/rsync data feed already, but it's not there Sad
mteel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will need to know the format of each of those fields - what they are and units (US or metric, etc.).

The CWOP submission is done via a telnet session directly, not a file transfer. It sounds like I may have to add an ability to generate a file containing the data they want then you could use the wviewftpd daemon to transfer it.

That does not look like CWOP formatted data at all really - CWOP fields have field type specifiers preceding the data values.
THogland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Data packet info... Reply with quote

Some more info...

A link to mesonet, where this is going... http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/mesonet.php

Here's a capture of a couple undecoded submissions, and following is the decoded listing (with column headings):

MSTEE 050927 DH1410/TA 50/UD 045/US 12/UP 20/PA 2950.64/XR 56//
ALYK1 050927 Z DH1554/TA 44/TD 42/XR 94/UD 233/US 8/UP 31/PA 29.46/PC 0.3/

Site M/A Day Time Sky Conditions VIS Weather Temp DP Wind(kt) Alt RH Chill Peak

MSTEE SF 27 1410Z 50 34 04510 56% 39 17
ALYK1 SF 27 1554Z 44 42 23307 946 94% 36 27

Note that 'sky conditions' and 'VIS weather' are both blank - the display skips from Time to Temp... Also, MSTEE has no altimeter setting displayed (I'm pretty sure the field "PA2950.64" is what that is, but the filter is dumping it as out of range).

Hope that helps! If not I'll have to plug the weather station into the Windows box, fire up their software and capture an upload for you...
THogland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteel wrote:
By the way, the wviewftpd daemon is configured in the wviewftp.conf file and can send any type of file you want...

...And this is what I'm hoping to use - if I can get a file dumped, I can set up wviewftpd to send it. I tested the daemon by sending the NOAA text files, and they send quite nicely Smile Even if it saves a temp file, and overwrites it every time it downloads new data, it'll still be there to FTP up.
THogland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Data captures... Reply with quote

...e-mailed to you. Doesn't look like CWOP, more like 10-minute incremented NOAA data from the /var/wview/noaa folder, with labels, so maybe this isn't some awful thing after all Smile

I'll verify that's correct with them and pass along what I find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> CWOP All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: