wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metric Conversion twice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisale

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Metric Conversion twice? Reply with quote

Hi...

I got everything up and running.. however, I'm noticing a discrepancy (i think) on the rain values.

I have my Vantage Pro set to gather rain data in .2mm increments.

I have wview set to convert to metric units.. but thats prolly not needed?

i ask because the daily rain is 0.71cm but my station says 5.6mm

gotta run, i'll take a longer look later.

http://www.murkyview.com/wview/Current_Conditions.htm
chrisale

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind, I think it's just a discrepancy in the archives rather than a conversion problem... i think..

but just to confirm.

is data always stored on the Vantage in inches? and then everything is converted on the console and in wview? I ask because when I set up the Vantage I actually modified the bucket as per Davis' instructions... you add a little rubber seperator so the bucket itself dumps at .2mm amounts.

thanks

Chris
mteel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is your problem. wview does all conversions - you should set your rain collector back to the 0.01 inch mode, and set the VP console to all US units. The archive records are stored in the files in US units too - wview converts the data to metric for the web pages and images, as well as to insert records in a relational database (if you are so inclined).

And you definitely *DO* want to set wview for metric units - it is the only thing you need to set up for metric as discussed above.

BTW, this
http://www.murkyview.com/wview/index.html is a much prettier homepage for you!

Mark
chrisale

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crrrapp... really?? there is absolutely no way to have wview deal with metric units out of Vantage Pro? If I have it in inches on the ISS I have to have it in inches on the Console as well.. that would suck.
chrisale

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.. i'll turn off the feed to Wunderground I guess so that I'm not feeding them inaccurate data.

is there any possibility I could tweak something in the source fille so that nothing was converted?
mteel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look at the console? That is what is bothering you? Geez!

There is no simple way to accept metric data from the VP console and I won't change it just so you can play with your console. Lots of folks (including Meteorologists) outside the US use metric data the way I have implemented it with no complaints at all.
Kippen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure here, but I think the problem is related to the fact that European models of the Davis stations are shipped with an extra metric adapter you can install to convert the rain collector to 0.2 mm measurments.

If you leave it as shipped with the 0.01 in adapter, I think you can have your console set to show mm as long as you have the correct rain collector setting in the console config and get the correct values in both wview and the console.

Kippen
tron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the sensor data is prefixed with type of collector units, which can be .1in, .01in, .2mm or 1mm.

wview is discarding the prefix, but not paying attention to it.
I don't know if it's common or not, but my collector has .2mm ticks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: