wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB on openslug 3.10 beta
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!

I'm hoping this means success...

Code:
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
Jul  6 16:26:47 (none) user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
Jul  6 16:26:47 (none) user.info kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
Jul  6 16:26:47 (none) user.info kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for cp2101
Jul  6 16:26:48 (none) user.info kernel: cp2101 2-1:1.0: cp2101 converter detected
Jul  6 16:26:48 (none) user.info kernel: usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
Jul  6 16:26:48 (none) user.info kernel: usb 2-1: cp2101 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Jul  6 16:26:48 (none) user.info kernel: usbcore: registered new driver cp2101
Jul  6 16:26:48 (none) user.info kernel: drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.c: Silicon Labs CP2101/CP2102 RS232 serial adaptor driver v0.06
Jul  6 16:26:48 (none) daemon.err udevd-event[1510]: match_rule: MODALIAS is deprecated, use ENV{MODALIAS} or SYSFS{modalias} instead.

There are a number of things that were blocking success... the main ones were...

#1: installing OpenSlug.. not DebianSlug
#2: REMOVING the "unstable" directory from the wview.conf file... it downloads what is now a new 2.6.17 usbserial module which doesn't work with the 2.6.16 cp2101 driver.
#3: downloading the file above and installing directly that file with ipkg install kernel-blahblah.2.6.blah.ipk

hooray.

i'll let everyone know how it goes.
chrisale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's installed and running... but there is a kernel panic which looks like it's coming from htmlgend.

I'll start another thread for that after I do some more troubleshooting of my own.

edit:
the problem was big/little endian conversion as John pointed out in the other slug thread that I created. The Slug is ARM, so "big" endian... my linux box was x86, so "little endian"... the slug wview ipkg install doesn't include the conversion utilities, so I had to convert them on the linux box and transfer them over.
ewanp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Having had a Vpro for some time I am now trying to use a slug as a wview host and feed to Wunderground. However I am having similar problems to others getting the CP2101 module loaded.

I have installed the opeslug 3.10-beta on a new slug with 40 GB hard disk

"ipkg -V3 install kernel-module-cp2101"
reports:

"comparing visible versions of pkg kernel-module-cp2101:
2.6.16-r6.4 is installed
2.6.16-r6.4 is available"

but
"cat /var/lib/ipkg/_wview"

shows:
"Package: kernel-module-cp2101
Version: 2.6.12.2-r17.1
Depends: update-modules, kernel-image-2.6.12.2, kernel-module-usbserial"

Checking /lib/modules shows both 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 directories. with cp2101 being in the /2.6.16/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ directory.

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.ko
gives: -1 Unknown symbol in module

I am rather at a loss as to where to go next, so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
EAP

Sad
bhnb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I reckon you need to modprobe rather than insmod, to ensure that usbserial gets loaded. dmesg should confirm that the missing symbol is from usbserial.

Jon
ewanp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Thanks for the reply. As you suggest the problem is a missing usbserial. There is one under /lib/modules/2.6.17 but not under /lib/modules/2.6.16!

I tried copying the usberserial.ko file over but dmseg shows "usbserial: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module" I guess I need the version for the 2.6.16 kernel but I am not sure where to get it from.

Thanks again.
EAP
ewanp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Now working Reply with quote

I finaly have the modules installed and wview is talking to the Vpro and data is being uploaded to wunderground... I am finaly on the internet!!!

I don't know exactly what I did but I think the following works.

The file I needed were in the _wview package all the time. However the 2.6.17 files were being loaded preferentialy from the unstable package.

I renamed /var/lib/ipkg/unstable to /var/lib/ipkg/eap_unstable in the hope that ipkg would no longer recognise the package.

I then removed usbserial and CP2101 using ipkg. I then installed usberserial and cp2101 ipkg. This placed CP2101.ko and usbserial,ko in /lib/modules/2/6/16/kernel/drivers/usb/serial

The next step was to use update-modules to include the new modules in the modules.conf file. After this modprobe was used to install the new modules which was confirmed with lsmod.

Following a reboot I could see that /dev/ttyUSB0 existed and the wview daemons could be started.

The system has been up and running for nearly 24 hrs so hopfuly all will be well.

I have a few more things to set-up: ftp to personal web site and apache for local web services.

If all of these go well I will try to rebuild the system on to flash driver and document what I do as I go along

Best Regards
EAP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: