wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the breakdown of getting wview up and running OS X?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n9qgs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: What is the breakdown of getting wview up and running OS X? Reply with quote

OKay I really like what this software has to offer, so I bought my vantage pro 2 which is to arrive in a couple of hours. I have an older 400 MHZ windows machine, I understand I could get Linux and run this wview with it or maybe I think I would prefer getting a Mac Mini and running it on it, but not knowing anything about command line, Im sure with some help I can get it up and running, ut it says you need other programs or modules installed, do you have to pay for these, also can the computer still run OS X applications while this wview is running? will a base 256 MB of ram be enough in the mini, the only applications I would use on the computer if I can run this in the background is maybe a ichat or something for text messaging or pulling up a weather radar, can it be configured once it is set up to automatically run upon the computer booting up... Im just trying to understand how this will be in the system compared to having an icon, etc that I can set up to autostart in OS X... also for Mac, what flavor of the weatherlink do I need to get, sounded like the USB would not be the way to go, but to get the windows serial version and a Serial to USB adapter whcih I already have a keyspan... Any help so I can make the next purchases would be helpful. Thanks for your input so far..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<i>it says you need other programs or modules installed, do you have to pay for these,</i>

No, you just need to download them.

<i>also can the computer still run OS X applications while this wview is running? </i>

Absolutely.

<i>will a base 256 MB of ram be enough in the mini, the only applications I would use on the computer if I can run this in the background is maybe a ichat or something for text messaging or pulling up a weather radar,</i>

Plenty

<i> can it be configured once it is set up to automatically run upon the computer booting up.</i>

Yes, that is the default installation mode.

<i>what flavor of the weatherlink do I need to get, sounded like the USB would not be the way to go, but to get the windows serial version and a Serial to USB adapter whcih I already have a keyspan</i>

I got the Mac USB version, cable from the Vantage Pro 2 plugs directly into the Mac. There have been some "issues" with that and wxview but I think those issues are now resolved.

The other option is to get the PC serial version and then buy a Keyspan serial-to-usb converter (about $20). I didn't do that so I can't comment. Note that if you get the PC version, you will get the PC version of WeatherLink which is significantly "nicer" than the Mac version of WeatherLink. That may or may not be important to you.

I do Weather Underground and CWOP with my xview setup running on my G5 iMac at home. It runs 24x7.

greg
mteel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg,

I would point out for clarity that you mean "wview" when you say "wxview" and "xview" Wink

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what 10,000 years of UNIX does to a person's brain. I can't tell the difference between xview, wxview, and wview any more Smile

greg
n9qgs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg

Thanks for the information, So is the whole command stuff just to get it installed and then it runs on its own, and shows up in your dock, and you then can click on it to bring it up and configure your settings, or possibly see some type of realtime data? I may go with the windows version, cause I have a windows laptop, and have heard that the weatherlink software is better for windows, BUT I may never even touch that since itsounds like this program will handle all my things I want to do just fine (creating web sites, logging the data, CWOP, and wunderground) That is really all I want in a nutshell, and it appears this program works with the datalogger so if your computer for some reason is shut down or offline from the vantage pro, it will update itself from the logger and make best use of filing the gaps, which is excellent. Also do you think it will still run if you have amilt users on mac OS X? I have my machine on 24/7 but sometimes someone else signes in on a different account while my account is still logged in. Again I think the datalogger and wview will fill in the gaps if it doesn't so Im nottoo worried, Im sure it doesn't fill in the gaps on wunderground or CWOPS, but this is why I was gona dedicate a macmini to this as you can get those for around $379 to $429 refurb through apple.

Greg Again thanks for your help, and Im sure Ill have ore questions for you once I get into installing, I just have to roder the weatherlink, station arrived last night and I have it set up and working great!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n9qgs wrote:
Greg

Thanks for the information, So is the whole command stuff just to get it installed and then it runs on its own,

Yes.

Quote:
and shows up in your dock, and you then can click on it to bring it up and configure your settings, or possibly see some type of realtime data?

Doesn't put anything in your dock. You interact with it through your web browser (you will need to be running Apache on your Mac -- you turn that on in System Preferences). Configuration changes need to be done at the command-line but wview has a nice command-line utility for configuration (i.e. you don't have to directly edit configuration files, unless you like that kind of thing).

Quote:
I may go with the windows version, cause I have a windows laptop, and have heard that the weatherlink software is better for windows, BUT I may never even touch that since itsounds like this program will handle all my things I want to do just fine (creating web sites, logging the data, CWOP, and wunderground)

That might be a good plan. Be aware that there are two Windows versions, one USB and one Serial. As far as I can tell, but I can't verify, the Windows USB version is IDENTICAL to the Mac USB version except that it:

1. Has the Windows version of weatherlink
2. Includes the Windows USB driver.

Theoretically you should be able to use the Windows USB version on a Mac if you get the Mac USB driver (I can send it to you). If you get the Windows Serial version, you will need the Keyspan USB adaptor to use it with your Mac.

Quote:
That is really all I want in a nutshell, and it appears this program works with the datalogger so if your computer for some reason is shut down or offline from the vantage pro, it will update itself from the logger and make best use of filing the gaps, which is excellent.

Yes, this is exactly what it does.

Quote:
Also do you think it will still run if you have amilt users on mac OS X? I have my machine on 24/7 but sometimes someone else signes in on a different account while my account is still logged in.

Multiple users won't affect it at all. THe wview daemons start up at system boot time and run as any other system daemon -- independent of logged-in users. There is no need for the datalogger to "fill in the gaps." It will continue to post to CWOP and wunderground no matter who is logged into the machine. Again, it doesn't run in the user context.

Quote:
Greg Again thanks for your help, and Im sure Ill have ore questions for you once I get into installing, I just have to roder the weatherlink, station arrived last night and I have it set up and working great!

You'll love it. No problem with any questions and Mark Teel is also excellent at getting you help with wview.

greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: