wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newby Questions/Missing C Compiler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mteel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your Mac clock is correct ("date" from the command line), I don't know what to tell you. wview periodically updates the time on the VP console automatically, did you set the time zone properly on the VP console and the Mac?
IslandLife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again:

I've been futzing with the .conf settings and ... may have broken the Archive function. I get these messages:

Sep 10 06:25:20 G5-Tower wviewd[418]: <1016089239> : daemonReceiveArchiveState: read failed
Sep 10 06:25:23 G5-Tower wviewd[5851]: <1016092063> : daemonReceiveArchiveState: read failed

The index.htx file doesn't seem to update anymore, eventhough individual .png files do. Following directions in the User Manual, I've replaced the index.html file with the index-plus file and "turned on" the extra sensors for my VP Plus. The Weatherlink software used to archive every 30 minutes and I had wview setup for 5 minutes and tried to change it to 30 in order for it to access the old .wlk files. Any output files I should post?

Also, seperately, I can not get the ftp to get through to our remote isp. I get:
ftp: No address associated with nodename
ftp: Can't connect or login to host `ftp.cedar.forest.net'

I know that there are some ftp issues under OS X and if any Mac users hav gotten their's to work, I would be interested to find out how.

Thanks.
mteel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason you are running two instances of wviewd? That is very bad and obvious from your post.

You should use wviewconfig to change anything in the wview.conf and htmlgen.conf files.

The Troubleshooting section of the User Manual addresses how to look at running wview daemons (and how many you should see). You need to shut down wview and possibly reboot since I don't want to go through the command line process for killing daemons with you. One of those looks like it has been running for a long time and the other looks like you just started it.
mteel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And changing your archive interval is a very bad thing too if you want to use your old files...

You best blow away your archive data wview has stored at 5 minute intervals and configure the console for 30 minutes and place your old WL archive files in the right place and then start wview. ALL of this is addressed in the User Manual - see "6.4 (New Installs) Existing Weatherlink Archive Files"...
It is a big pain when you change the archive interval...

Further, I think that crappy WL version for the Mac stores archive records in an old format that wview doesn't recognize - I believe the newer versions of WL can convert them to the right format - you need to visit the WeatherMatrix Forum for VP and post the question there, there is a Mac guy there that knows how to do it.
IslandLife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteel wrote:
And changing your archive interval is a very bad thing too if you want to use your old files...

You best blow away your archive data wview has stored at 5 minute intervals and configure the console for 30 minutes and place your old WL archive files in the right place and then start wview. ALL of this is addressed in the User Manual - see "6.4 (New Installs) Existing Weatherlink Archive Files"...
It is a big pain when you change the archive interval...

Further, I think that crappy WL version for the Mac stores archive records in an old format that wview doesn't recognize - I believe the newer versions of WL can convert them to the right format - you need to visit the WeatherMatrix Forum for VP and post the question there, there is a Mac guy there that knows how to do it.

Okay. I didn't realize that two versions were running and interpreted the two entries as the dual radlib processes discussed in the user manual. I restarted (again) and have not instructed wview to start since it is in the StartupItems directory. One problem is that when I run (as described in the MacOSX quickguide :

sudo ps aux | grep wv
Password:
paul 556 0.0 0.0 27364 444 p1 S+ 7:53AM 0:00.00 grep wv
I don't get (you should see at least "wviewd" - maybe others if you enabled them), just grep wv ...

The index file is still not updating. I'll trash all of the other archive files. I did read your warning about changing the archive interval, but would really want to use the WL generated dated. Good to know that the WL data is as useless as their WL for Mac software ...

I'm starting to lean towards doing another "clean install" and take baby steps in making changes.[/i]
mteel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can convert your old data, just look into it with the guy on Weathermatrix...

If you do start over (which I don't think is necessary) or you don't,

RTFM Wink

wview is not a "for dummies" kind of application, in fact it is a server-class 24x7x365 type of application, with a lot of configurability built in. That configurability makes it more involved when you are setting it up. Life is full of trade-offs.

I'm glad that some Mac folks are interested in it, just realize that you will have to do some homework (User Manual) and perhaps some digging to learn things if you are not CLI-savvy. Learning unix commands and how to build unix applications, etc. is good for your overall understanding of your Macintosh, IMHO.

Hang in there, you are closer than you think right now, just don't mess with things until you understand what you are messing with Smile
IslandLife

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark: I did reinstall wview (only), and I believe that I have figured out the ftp problem (came down to changing "user" to "name" and "pass" to "Password:" in the wviewftp.conf file). See, I am learning about the Unix underpinnings of my Mac ...

BTW, I've read your User Manual probably 5 times front to back. As a neophyte in this command-line language world my added learning curve is to figure out what is appropriate under Unix/Mac vs. other programming languages.

Now, wview is still not auto updating to http://www.pcrguam.com/img I may have traced it down to this statement in the system log:

Sep 10 20:50:06 G5-Tower wviewd[1133]: <1067975325> : daemonRunState: WAKEUP failed

Any ideas where this may be originating? All files appear to be updated in the local directory /private/var/wview/img, and the Command Line Interface (Terminal) Program does not complain anymore that it cannot connect to my remote host, but the *.img *.png and *.txt files do not get uploaded. The WAKEUP failure seems to be the only thing out of the ordinary.

Thanks (again),
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> wview Installation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: