wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Archive Interval

Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Configuration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakerkj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Archive Interval Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the Vantage Pro2 supports 1m archive intervals. Is there any reason not to set my system up to use that?

The vpconfig code does not allow anything below 5m. Can I change that? What will it break? If it won't break anything is there a reason not to change the code to reflect this as an option?

Thanks for your help!

-- Ken
mteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wview does not support 1 minute archive interval. This is the reason you shouldn't set it to one minute.

Why would you want 1 minute archive intervals? The current readings on the web pages can be configured to be updated on a 1 minute interval. But the storage of a record to the archive files is only done every 5 minutes (or more).

Weather organizations typically recommend 15 or 30 minute archive intervals...

At a 5 minute interval, monthly archive files are ~ 800 KB. At one minute they would be 4 MB!

Archive interval drives how often CWOP and Wunderground are updated, and they do not want updates every minute.

I just can't think of one good reason to have a 1-minute archive interval.

Mark
bakerkj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I want 1minute archive intervals? Simply higher resolution archived data. 4MB/month -- that isn't bad at all that is only 48MB/year, 4.8GB/lifetime.

I understand that this may be an issue for CWOP and Wunderground. Is there a way I can separate the archive interval from the upload interval?

-- Ken
mteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless you want to hack the source code...

File size is not a good justification to do it. Better resolution? What would that add to your comprehension of your weather data? Weather data points change so very little in 99.9% of all cases from one minute to the next.

wview will not be supporting 1 minute archive intervals. The size of internal data stores to support it, etc. are prohibitive and I don't see any practical need for it.
bakerkj

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference weather underground is now testing "Rapid Fire" personal weather stations which update much more frequently http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/realtime.asp

Could someone go through the sequence of steps I would have to do to enable archiving and uploading stats every minute?

Thanks all!
THogland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For reference weather underground is now testing "Rapid Fire" personal weather stations which update much more frequently http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/realtime.asp

Could someone go through the sequence of steps I would have to do to enable archiving and uploading stats every minute?

Thanks all!

I also looked at this and thought, "how neat", then realized that there's almost no use for it, short of wind data. Temps, RH, baro, rain - none of them change rapidly enough to justify the network load. Wind speed, gust speed, and direction *might* justify that...

The simplest way would probably be a wunderd-rf module, reading 'live' wind data and uploading it - I can't imagine trying to hack through the standard code just to make everything update every couple seconds. (I mean, wviewd reads and stores data, then wunderd reads that and uploads, right? So it's not just hacking wunderd, it's a complete rewrite of the code...)

Sounds like a nice programming project for someone (i.e. 'someone who's a better programmer than I am' <g>)
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about that "Rapid Fire" crap on this board a while back and immediately thought "How Dumb". If anything, using that to try to justify a 1 minute archive interval only makes me more dead set against it.

It wouldn't be a code re-write: in theory it should work as it is currently implemented but it doesn't - I'm sure archive interval > 1 is assumed in a few key places causing it to not work.

But... it was not designed nor was that a requirement to support 1 minute. It is open source - if one wants 1 minute that bad, one must grab the source and start debugging why 1 minute fails, then hack to your heart's content.

Mark
bakerkj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all...

-- Ken
richc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here (obviously) but I have had a Vantage Pro 2 station since April.

One reason you may NOT want 1 minute archive intervals is that the shorter the interval, the shorter the length of time your station can go without being downloaded, due to the fixed memory size in the data logger.

According to the Weatherlink FAQ on Davis' web site (http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/faq/FAQs_WeatherLink.pdf), each minute of archive interval gives you 1.5 days of storage in the Vantage Pro 2. so you would need to download your station every 1.5 days for a one minute interval to avoid data loss.

Mine is set to 15 minutes, so I have roughly 22.5 days of storage.

This is not normally a problem with a dedicated computer, but what happens if you go on vacation and your computer fails? You will have a big hole in your weather data.

Rich C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> Configuration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: