wviewweather.com Forum Index wviewweather.com
wview and Weather Topics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTP Setup Problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mteel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: FTP Setup Problems Reply with quote

If you are running the wviewftpd daemon and you see no warning logs from it (and you have the ftp rules set up properly), then the files are being transferred to the remote server. I would log in to the remote and look around... wview places the files in the "img" directory under your login directory on the remote. Maybe the files aren't where your webserver expects them, but they are probably there. Soft links (as discussed in the User Manual) can solve this problem for you on the remote side.

Quote:
Sep 10 20:50:06 G5-Tower wviewd[1133]: <1067975325> : daemonRunState: WAKEUP failed

This indicates a serial IF failure to wakeup the VP console - are you seeing many of these or only a few of them?

Do your website pages and images look right and are they updating if you open the index.html file locally in the /var/wview/img directory?

My other comments were not necessarily directed at you personally, I just want other Mac folks that are perusing the forum to know what they are getting into Smile
IslandLife

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this look like ftp is working? If so, I can not find the files on the remote server anywhere ...

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
1124 wviewftpd 0.0% 0:00.00 1 8 22 32K 1.11M 164K 27.4M
1122 wviewftpd 0.0% 0:00.06 1 10 23 56K 1.09M 312K 27.4M
1119 htmlgend 0.0% 0:00.00 1 8 39 48K 2.06M 176K 30.9M
1117 htmlgend 0.0% 0:23.33 1 10 40 584K 2.04M 1.03M 30.9M
1114 wviewd 0.0% 0:00.00 1 8 23 36K 1.18M 164K 27.6M
1112 wviewd 0.0% 0:01.94 1 10 25 92K 1.16M 384K 27.6M
mteel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you confirm that tnftp is installed on your Mac as outlined in the User Manual?

If you did, then ftp should be working. If you did not, it probably isn't installed and any old ftp client WILL NOT work.

Are there any log messages or terminal messages of interest (ftp related)?

What happens when you enter "/usr/bin/ftp"?
mteel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until the following works from the command line, wview ftp will not work (replace remote_username, remote_password and remote_host with the proper values for your remote ftp host account, do not add or delete spaces in the command):

Code:
cd /var/wview
/usr/bin/ftp -AiV -u ftp://remote_username:remote_password@remote_host/ img/*.*

This will transfer all files from the /var/wview/img directory to the img directory on your remote ftp login server if tnftp is installed and setup as described in the User Manual. It also is the command format used by wviewftpd...
IslandLife

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteel wrote:
Did you confirm that tnftp is installed on your Mac as outlined in the User Manual?

I found out yesterday that, no, tnftp is not installed, but "lukemftp 1.6-beta2" is. I installed the tnftp per the user manual, but it did not work (at all). After Googling lukemftp I found out that it is made/published by the folks over at NetBSD also, and figured that it probably is a Mac-thing.

Quote:
If you did, then ftp should be working. If you did not, it probably isn't installed and any old ftp client WILL NOT work.

Are there any log messages or terminal messages of interest (ftp related)?

What happens when you enter "/usr/bin/ftp"?

After the install and revert of the ftp clients I was able to enter into an ftp "session" by entering /usr/bin/ftp. That's when I learned that it prompts for "name" rather then "user" and "password:" After making those changes in the wviewftp.conf file all error messages from ftp in Terminal ceased. I also created the /img directory AND transferred all image files except the *.img, *.png, etc. as instructed in the manual over to the remote server via commandline ftp, without any problems.

Quote:
I don't know why I ask you questions, you rarely answer all of them - there are still outstanding questions from my last post you have not answered... I cannot help you if you don't give me a clear picture.

I'm sorry. I'm learning as I go and follow your suggestions to a tee, move on, learn, review, revert, etc. and get lost in the forest some times.

I just tried
Code:
cd /var/wview
(yes, I did change remote_host) and received this result: -bash: !@my-ftp-server/: event not found You see, my (ISP provided) password ends in a ! (exclamation point). Could that possibly be getting things out of whack? I just manually transferred all files via ftp again without problem. So I do not think that lukemftp is the problem. I can't find ANY error messages regarding ftp in in system logs/console.

Paul
mteel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you - in fact lukemftp is the older name for tnftp - same thing.

Yes, based on that error when you try to transfer from the command line, I think the "!" may be your problem. Can you call your customer support and have them change it?
mteel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, you may be able to change it yourself...

This should prompt you for the old and the new password...
IslandLife

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteel wrote:
In fact, you may be able to change it yourself...

This should prompt you for the old and the new password...

No such luck! I'll have to try and call them in the morning or Monday. I hope that that's it ...!
IslandLife

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteel wrote:
Until the following works from the command line, wview ftp will not work (replace remote_username, remote_password and remote_host with the proper values for your remote ftp host account, do not add or delete spaces in the command):

Code:
cd /var/wview

This will transfer all files from the /var/wview/img directory to the img directory on your remote ftp login server if tnftp is installed and setup as described in the User Manual. It also is the command format used by wviewftpd...

I got the command to work ... at least partially. Every time I run it under Terminal I get the following error:
Command "EPRT |1|202.151.68.34|56067|" unrecognized.
or
Command "EPRT |1|202.151.68.34|56022|" unrecognized.
etc.
Where the IP address is for the remote server and the last number changes each time. Nevertheless the script seems to work.

My wviewftp.conf file looks like this:

# Hostname Definition
#
host ftp.xxxx.xxxx.net

# Username
#
Name xxxxxx

# Password
#
Password: xxxxxx

#
# Transfer File Definitions
# Column Format:
# 1) transmit interval (mins)
# 2) source file (relative to /var/wview)
#

# current conditions every minute
#
1 img/Current_Conditions.htm

# images, htmls, and NOAA every 5 minutes
#
5 img/*.png
5 img/*.htm
5 img/*.txt

That Current_Conditions.htm file, is that something generated by htmlgen, because I do not see it in my /img directory, or is it a code for files changed from the last upload?" (Or did I miss that I need to change this file name?)

Thx (I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!)
mteel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just a legacy file from the WL days - some people still like. If it isn't listed in html-templates.conf, you can comment it out here (what I suggest doing).

I assume they changed your password for you?
IslandLife

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteel wrote:

I assume they changed your password for you?

Yes, the password changed.
IslandLife

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still wrestling with this last hurdle. ftp transfers files to the server with only the below quoted "EPRT" comment (doesn't even look like a real error message. I have watched ftp in the terminal window with verbose logging turned-on (-Aiv) transfer each file in the /img directory to its appropriate place on the remote server, but it simply does not do anything automagically ... Could it be that the automated script (not wview.conf) is looking in the wrong directory for the /img files?

As I have mentioned before the /private directory, where /var/wview resides is normally hidden, and I can't, for instance map Interarchy (an GUI ftp application), to it's location because /private is not visible in the finder's selection options. Is the
Code:
cd /var/wview
command exactly what happens when Wview tries to ftp?

Paul

IslandLife wrote:
mteel wrote:

Code:
cd /var/wview

I got the command to work ... at least partially. Every time I run it under Terminal I get the following error:
Command "EPRT |1|202.151.68.34|56067|" unrecognized.
or
Command "EPRT |1|202.151.68.34|56022|" unrecognized.
etc.
Where the IP address is for the remote server and the last number changes each time. Nevertheless the script seems to work.

mteel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the only difference is the "*.*" at the end of the test command I gave you. The file wildcards are gotten from wviewftp.conf file.

Do you see a log message every minute saying "FTP processing X rules" or something similar? If not, you haven't renamed the conf file to wviewftp.conf as the UM states you have to. wviewconfig will also do the renaming for you.

If you don't have any rules defined in that file, nothing would happen either. Post an excerpt of your /var/log/System.log.

Mark
IslandLife

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteel wrote:
Yes, the only difference is the "*.*" at the end of the test command I gave you. The file wildcards are gotten from wviewftp.conf file.

Do you see a log message every minute saying "FTP processing X rules" or something similar? If not, you haven't renamed the conf file to wviewftp.conf as the UM states you have to. wviewconfig will also do the renaming for you.

If you don't have any rules defined in that file, nothing would happen either. Post an excerpt of your /var/log/System.log.

Mark

I'm sorry, but do you mean renaming the wviewftp.conf from "wviewftp.no-conf?" That was done from the getgo.

No I do not see any FTP log messages besides the start-up one:

Sep 15 17:50:42 G5-Tower sudo: paul : TTY=ttyp1 ; PWD=/Users/paul ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/SystemStarter stop wview
Sep 15 17:50:43 G5-Tower wviewftpd[167]: <1489211684> : wviewftpd: recv sig 15: exiting!
Sep 15 17:50:43 G5-Tower htmlgend[162]: <1489211692> : htmlgend: recv sig 15: exiting!
Sep 15 17:50:43 G5-Tower wviewd[144]: <1489211702> : wviewd: recv sig 15: exiting!
Sep 15 17:50:55 G5-Tower sudo: paul : TTY=ttyp1 ; PWD=/Users/paul ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/SystemStarter start wview
Sep 15 17:50:55 G5-Tower wviewd[613]: <1489223895> : station interface: serial ...
Sep 15 17:50:56 G5-Tower wvalarmd[618]: <1489224910> : /etc/wview/wvalarm.conf does not exist - exiting...

Sep 15 17:50:56 G5-Tower wvcwopd[620]: <1489224916> : /etc/wview/wvcwop.conf does not exist - exiting...

Sep 15 17:50:56 G5-Tower wviewftpd[622]: <1489224929> : FTP: 0 rules added
Sep 15 17:50:56 G5-Tower wviewftpd[622]: <1489224929> : starting ftp timer for 0 mins 19 secs
Sep 15 17:50:56 G5-Tower wviewsshd[623]: <1489224929> : /etc/wview/wviewssh.conf does not exist - exiting...

Sep 15 22:27:22 G5-Tower wviewd[613]: <1505810596> : daemonRunState: WAKEUP failed
Sep 15 23:19:52 G5-Tower wviewd[613]: <1508960630> : daemonRunState: WAKEUP failed
Sep 15 23:41:07 G5-Tower wviewd[613]: <1510235491> : daemonRunState: WAKEUP failed
Sep 15 23:53:37 G5-Tower wviewd[613]: <1510985818> : daemonRunState: WAKEUP failed

And this is what my wviewftp.conf file looks like (with name and password altered):

###############################################################################
# ftp.conf
# wview FTP configuration file
#
# Notes:
# 1) files are transmitted at 15 seconds past the top of minute
# 2) Order of definitions in this file is mandatory
# 3) transmit interval starts at 1 minute past a five minute mark
# 4) the number of rules in this file should be minimized (< 10)
# 5) the files will be placed under the ftp login directory on the remote host
#
###############################################################################

# Hostname Definition
#
host ftp.myhost

# Username
#
Name myname

# Password
#
Password: mypassword

#
# Transfer File Definitions
# Column Format:
# 1) transmit interval (mins)
# 2) source file (relative to /var/wview)
#

# current conditions every minute
#
1 img/Current_Conditions.htm

# images, htmls, and NOAA every 5 minutes
#
5 img/*.png
5 img/*.htm
5 img/*.txt
mteel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# Hostname Definition
#
host   ftp.yourhost.net

# Username
#
user   yourusername

# Password
#
pass   yourpassword

This is the beginning of the example wviewftp.conf file - why have you changed user and pass?

Quote:
Sep 15 17:50:56 G5-Tower wviewftpd[622]: <1489224929> : FTP: 0 rules added

This is your first clue - wview did not like your config file - 0 rules added. Based on your file it should say "4 rules added" - but it is probably unhappy with your changes to the file keywords "user" and "pass".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wviewweather.com Forum Index -> FTP All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: